August 22, 2005

mondegreen defeated

After a recent conversation with my favourite new acquaintance, I got to thinking about my favourite lyrics, and then to lyrics that totally befuddled me.

My whole life, I've misunderstood the lyrics to Paul Lekakis' 'Boom Boom Boom (Let's Go back To My Room)' to the point of comedy.

When I was a teenager, we stole my Mum's copy of 1987 Right On Track (in hindsight a brilliant compilation) and took it to my friends house. We'd put the record on while either drunk or stoned, then make up crappy dances and interpretations to the songs. For example, we'd sing Starship's 'Nothing's Going to Stop Us Now' (from the soundtrack to Mannequin, for those of you keeping count), especially the lyrics "Them say we crazy." We also made up a dance to INXS' 'Need You Tonight', which I can still perform for anyone who is interested. It involves lots of sliding and shoulder rolling.

Anyway, we'd play Paul Lekakis' song over and over, trying to figure out the lyrics while incredibly ripped. The leading contender for the mystery lyric was "To be or not to be". Another nomination was "tovee on a tovee". It made no sense, but that's what it sounded like.

Today I realised I could just look it up on the Net. Ladies and gents, the mystery lyrics are: "Do the honour to me."

Update: The lyric is still in contention! A few websites list the lyric as "To be or not to be", but the majority say "Do the honour to me".

'Boom Boom Boom (Let's Go back To My Room)'
Hey babe, I'd like to talk to you
How about coming back to my room for a little boom boom

You keep coming to me
I can dig your dynamite
Know the way you move
Get in the groove
You're driving me crazy, crazy for you

Second time you moved me
It's time for us to Boom Boom
You can come right close to me
And feel the burning fire
All the time you got me
It's fine for us to boom boom
If you see the spark in me
And feel my strong desire

Boom Boom Boom
Let's go back to my room
So we can do it all night
And you can make me feel right

Boom Boom Boom
Let's go back to my room
So we can do it all night
And you can make me feel right

Do the honor to me
Don't you know I like to bite
Get to the view
Closer to you
You're driving me crazy, crazy for you

Second time you moved me
It's time for us to Boom Boom
You can come right close to me
And feel the burning fire
All the time you got me
It's fine for us to boom boom
If you see the spark in me
And feel my strong desire

Boom Boom Boom
Let's go back to my room
So we can do it all night
And you can make me feel right

Boom Boom Boom
Let's go back to my room
So we can do it all night
And you can make me feel right

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

You are wonderful! I totally want you to do that "Need You Tonight" dance for me.

Also, I love your dedication to shonky HTML and animated gifs.

Lately I have really been getting back into 80s music - and not in that cheesy Club Retro way. I want to write a blog post about the way it makes me feel. (My lonely days are gone. Atcha-oooh.)

12:48 pm, August 23, 2005  
Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

Yeah that dance is fairly hot n funky.
I tracked down the 'isnot' website too. I so badly want a copy...

3:17 pm, August 23, 2005  
Blogger weasel said...

Did you know Paul Lekakis actually *is* gay? I mean, the song was the gayest thing ever, but yeah.

Apparently he was a real pioneer for openly gay pop singers. I guess that guy from Westlife should give him a blow job as thanks or something.

http://www.modamag.com/paullekakisinterview.htm

http://www.paullekakis.com

2:31 am, August 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home