July 07, 2005

t.a.f.e. update: a shower of cunts

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Hon. Peter Dutton.
Minister for Workplace Participation.
Cunt.
After weeks of being assured by all and sundry that I would be subsidised to go to TAFE this semester, I just got rejected. Centrelink approved doing the course, but my Job Network Provider (JNP) refused my application. Apparently I'm better off doing Work for the Dole or Intensive Assistance.

My sheepish caseworker (who had repeatedly said that it should be "no worries") told me that I was rejected because a)they don't fund "arts courses" and b)there was no guarantee of full-time employment at the end of the course. He also said that two or three months ago, it wouldn't have been a problem. Then he went on a bit about how he "doesn't agree" with his job, about all the injustice, yadda yadda. All things that don't help me a bit.

Okay, first of all, I wouldn't really describe a TAFE certificate in Graphic Design as an "arts course." The difference between TAFE and universty is that it is industry focused; it's about getting work done and sending it ready for the printers.

On the second point, does anyone know a course that guarantees full-time employment? I think only the army can make that promise. Simon the Case Worker said the kind of thing they would fund are courses like a forklift license.

Right now, I'm super pissed off. I was due to start the course on Monday and now I have to withdraw. I could go on Austudy, but that would mean a substantial cut in my Centerlink payments (which I really can't afford) and still wouldn't solve the problem of paying for course materials before Monday morning. And besides, the main reason I wanted to do the course was to be able to get work. Fuck it, it seems like a more productive thing to do than fucking Work for the Dole.

What are my options? As far as I know, there is no-one I can appeal the decision to. I guess I could speak to my local MP (imagine me dry-wretching at the prospect) because the JNP cited the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations as the reason. I can't see the dilemma being solved before Monday, whatever I do.

UPDATE 4:47PM:Situation resolved... kind of. I've taken out a $500 loan to pay for the fees and materials. I've also found the marquee html tag and love it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno, dude, I'm all for rorting the system, but I'm not sure you can be morally indignant about this. There are way too many people out there with graphic design qualifications, which is probably why they said you wouldn't have a guarantee of a job and called it an 'arts' course. Aside from daytime TV ads for reskilling as an IT professional (can't remember whether those are on Briish TV or Australian, or both), you're pretty much assured of a job if you do TAFE to become an electrician, say.

2:28 pm, July 11, 2005  
Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

People mostly do graphics for the job at the end! It's the one arts course with a regular job at the end...
I think my uni states it has a 90-100% employment rate at the end of the course.
I know there's probably a whole lot of people who have the qualifications, but you have the skills to pay the bills buddy!
How's school this week by the way?

1:47 pm, July 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered being a writer and getting paid for it? I do it. It's cool. Chicks dig it. Probably. And you certainly have the ability, both to write and to make people laugh.

I assume it's okay to laugh as you complain about your doleful existence?

1:56 pm, July 28, 2005  
Blogger Lumpen said...

Mark: I'm also assured of a job if I join the army. Their argument only makes sense if you assume that the point is to get a job that fascilitates the smooth running of the economy. By that logic, they should have paid for me anyway: another competitor in the job market driving down wages. Who needs the AWAs, eh? Also, fulltime study was a satisfactory outcome until very recently.

DC: thanks for the compliments. I have tried my hand at professional writing. I've gotten a bit of work from it. Don't think I have the mental discipline to be a great writer, though. We'll see, I guess.

12:02 am, July 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man,
first time ive read your blog.
if u want a job network member that'll giv u special exemptions, try hanover (u just have to convince them u r two steps from homelessness!)
cheers muchacho

4:14 pm, August 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home