June 08, 2007

barracuda



Wow. I've been listening to this song alot recently and it almost completely undoes Heart's 'All I wanna Do' that seemed to play at every underage disco when I was a kid.

Which reminds me, Garth Ennis' run on Punisher is still kicking arse (if the pacing is a little slow) and the Barracuda spin-off miniseries is going great guns. I never got into the Punisher much before Ennis picked up the reins and made it his own – I fucking hate vigilante heroics for the most part, but if you're going to do it, do it right. It's interesting to contrast the Punisher War Journal (which takes place in the regular Marvel Universe) and the Max series (Ennis', which seemingly falls outside of continuity… fuck me, I'm a massive nerd).



The above cover always bugged the total fucking hell out of me. A crying Punisher ? Please. This cover encapsulates everything wrong with comics in the 1990s (okay, maybe it's missing a holographic cover with 'Collector's Item!' emblazoned on the front and, from memory, there isn't a guest-appearance by Wolverine and the art isn't by Rob Lefield). It totally interferes with my man-child fantasies of individualist heroism and and cartoonish stoicism. Who needs to be reminded that superhero comics are soap operas for pubescent boys or adults who can't let childish things go?
http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif


That's more like it. Photo referencing, photoshopping and absolutely nothing silly. Just a dude in a custom t-shirt and trenchcoat shooting folks (and, thanks to Ennis, lots of cock sucking jokes and enough homophobic slurs to keep it "real").

Gosh, procrastination makes me write about the weirdest shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home