March 10, 2007

o-g-g, yeah you know me

A funny thing happened the other day in class. A teacher mentioned that there was a strong possibility that, as of the release of Adobe's Creative Suite 3 (a collection of software programs that includes Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign), Adobe will no longer provide site licensing for their products. This would mean my school may have to pay a license for each individual install of CS3, and installation itself will be a laborious process, as the IT department will no longer be able to create a disc image used on all the computers (we're Mac-based, by the way).

Frankly, I don't think Adobe would be that stupid. It did bring home how much damage a monopoly can do, though.

I also teach how to use these programs, and this weekend I'm putting together the curriculum for the short courses. It's spurred me into thinking I should focus more on the principles of image manipulation and layout, rather than merely teaching how to use the particular tools in Photoshop (for example).

I think what I might do is distribute a CD with open source equivalents of these programs to each student.

As if I couldn't get any nerdier than blogging about open source software, I decided to start encoding my music to the Ogg Vorbis format – a music encoding file format similar (but superior) to mp3.

The drawback is that sharing my ogg music will be a might bit difficult. At the stage, however, I feel the benefits outweigh the detriments: it's open source, better quality and free. And it's good to see that I can now play back Ogg files in iTunes. I've been using Ogg Drop to encode the files.

np: 'Phantom Limb' – The Shins
'Shadows' – Midnight Juggernauts

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try http://gimpshopdotnet.blogspot.com/ - I'm not related to the site or its people, but Gimpshop = Gimp with very Photoshop-like commands.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Wggl

1:09 am, March 11, 2007  
Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

I also read that they're offering a free 6 moth ad based trial of PS as well...but yeah maybe easier to use share ware.
Also I think you have to teach what you've got, but maybe introducing them to the idea of shareware is good also. You'll have to email a list of the ones you know.
My latest batch of 1st years seem to be a bit more PS equiped which is good

12:02 am, March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home