September 19, 2005

lady don't tek no

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSorry about the break between postings. The end of term meant I had a fair swag of assignments to hand in.

Speaking of study, I'm in a weird position with Centrelink at the moment. I'm doing a short course and I had to fill out The Clink's "Request for Course Approval" form. This form has to be filled out by anyone undertaking Mutual Obligation. As I might have mentioned earlier, it was a strange and harrowing process. The form itself is very simple, but the language has to be quite specific, kind of like requests for asylum (no shit).

The upshot of all this is I got a 12 week exemption from handing in the fortnightly form, with another automatic twelve weeks after the next form I hand in..

Annecdotally speaking, I know of one woman who managed to stay on the dole throughout four years of university. As you might know, this rules for several reasons but chiefly because the rate of Youth Allowance is much smaller than Newstart.

Although I wouldn't call this a loophole to Mutual Obligation, doing a TAFE course is far more constructive than Work for the Dole or (spew spew) Intensive Assistance.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home