January 19, 2005

too fat, too furious

That last post might have seemed a bit harsh, or a waste of time. Maybe I should explain a little.
I was reading some gay press about how everything was great now there were queers on the telly. Straight after that I saw some shit about these "fat positive" people who reckon it's awesome to be a fatty, talking about the "fat community" and stuff.
This all seemed a little dumb to me. It's the worst of identity devoid of any of the content. You could have some white supremacist with a dead baby hanging from his anus, but because he likes bum sex that's a notch in the "hooray for gay" category.
Basically, all these things that should be emphemeral are being put centre stage, regardless of what people say. So it was my way of saying that, just as targeting people specifically for derision on such a stupid basis is ludicrous, so is identity politics.
Just thought I'd share that. It's been bugging me that no-one has said anything about it even though it's pretty offensive, even from me. So, for the record, I like fatties. I've made love to fatties. I would like to make love to fatties again.

In other news, I'm thinking about starting a podcast. Not sure how the whole RSS thing works. Gotta do some more homework on that. I do have all the equipment I need. I recently scored a free Playstation2, with EyeToy and SingStar microphones (I know, I'm just bragging). The mics use a USB port, and I found that these work on my Mac. I've got the software that I need (again, free. Thank you freeware makers of the world!). All I need now is the server space.

I don't like the word "podcast" by the way. If you take the word "broadcast", the meaning is obvious; it comes from the fishing technique of casting a wide net, and the parallels to the way radio and telly works are obvious. The metaphor can easily be extended to the way this form of communication functions. Calling it "linecasting" would make much more sense. Calling it "podcasting" is like calling letter writing a "bictransmission."

As you can probably tell by the date and time of this posting, I've got really bad insomnia again. For once, I've done my column early but I have an article due tomorrow. Frankly, I think my writing has been super shit lately, that is, if it was ever good. My shoulders are killing me, my chest hurts... I think I have cancer. Yes, there's a cancer growing in my chest. I've OD'd on Pringles. I'm reduced to watching Water Rats and infomercials while my housemate's laptop burns a hole in my crotch. Christ, I know I usually rail against these kind of personal postings, but I need some inspiration. Can people send me interesting links, presents or some music? I need something to get me excited.

In other news, it looks like I'm moving house in early March to... BRUNSWICK. Yep, I'll be back in the 'hood. Can't wait. I spent the weekend there last week and it was all very folksy. People visit each other and have chooks in their backyards. I remember when I first moved there back in 1999 it seemed so inner city. It'll be good to be able to move into a house where I can make some noise. We have a crazy neighbour who screams if he can hear anything. He once threatened to punch me because he heard cutlery rattling. The other morning he woke me up because he was calling someone a motherfucker over and over again. And if you're reading this Laslo, YOU'RE AN UGLY FUCKING CUNT.

Oh, and my other big news is that I've rediscovered Friendster. I already found one friend from back in the day. Oh, the magic of the internet! Everyone join and let's be friends!

1 Comments:

Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

I've been having a little insomia myself recently. It sucks so badly when you actully feel tired but your mind is racing away. Maybe if it bothers you that much you could try geting less sleep and excercising, fatty!
-Love fatty

12:29 pm, January 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home