May 04, 2005

ssq

My favourite film of all time is Return of the Living Dead. I first saw the movie when I was eleven or twelve, maybe younger. It scared the complete hell out of me but got me hooked on the horror genre.

One of the things that stuck out the most for me was the soundtrack. In particular, there was a song called 'Tonight (We'll Make Love Til We Die)' that plays when one of the characters does a dance and strip on a grave (one of the highlights of the film). The track was credited to "SSQ", which I figured was a 1980s electro/new wave band.

The soundtrack also introduced me to The Cramps, who I've been getting more and more into lately. But I digress.

For years, over a decade now, I've been looking for the soundtrack on vinyl, mostly so I could find more about the SSQ song, and for the artwork.

Back in the days of Napster, it was the first song I looked for and I eventually got it, but everything about the band was still a mystery.

As you might have read in my recent entries, I now have a broadband connection. Naturally, this translates into downloading shitloads of music from peer-to-peer networks. I looked up "SSQ" and I found another song, called 'Synthecide.' It was just as cool as 'Tonight (We'll Make Love Til We Die)' but way more upbeat. Then today I found another song called 'Walkman On' and it was more 1980s electro genius.

Armed with these song titles, I finally had enough info for a decent Google harvest. And fuck me, it turned out that "SSQ" was the previous monicker of Stacey Q, who had a hit with the song 'Two of Hearts' - a song, incidentally, I am also really fond of.

For so long I wanted to know about SSQ. Now I have three tracks (well, four including 'Two of Hearts') plus the info to get more. Oh, and Stacey Q converted to Buddhism apparently, so I presume she isn't making cool electro tracks about fucking the devil or making love with headphones on.

Stacey Q Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 Comments:

Blogger hon said...

Leigh, of course you can get your polaroid back. i have a J-pop cd for you aswell. email me so we can catch up

honsportableharddrive{at}graffiti{dot}net

9:22 am, May 05, 2005  
Blogger Mel said...

Leigh, it's me, your karaoke pardner of early this week. Remember how I told you about the Real McCoy blog? Well check it out!

BTW I also love "Two of Hearts", but have never heard any of the SSQ stuff.

7:25 pm, May 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home