August 25, 2004

garbage pail kids

Adam Bomb
The naughtiest thing I ever did as a kid was to steal $50 from a school fete and spend the whole thing on Garbage Pail Kids (GPK) bubblegum cards, a series the parodied the sacchrine sweetness of the Cabbage Patch Kids.
The main reason I like the GPK (also known as The Garbage Gang in Australia) was because of John Pound’s artwork, but did you know that Art Spiegelman (Maus) was also involved in their production?
I tried hunting down a set and stumpled upon a great comprehensive GPK website run by Matthew Stafford which you can see here.
He graciously agreed to answer some nerdy questions in between sorting his collection.

Give us a rundown of your collection. How complete is it?
My U.S. collection is complete from series #1-15 (1985-1988) minus a few of the very minor copyright variation cards. These variations are not considered by most collectors, so I would say my collection is 100% complete. ANS1 [All New Series One] and ANS2 are complete as well. I have unopened boxes from every series above, with mint condition 1985 series #1 boxes going for $1000+ each at times. I have many of the foreign releases as well, but there are so many it is hard to collect everything.
I consider my Bukimi Kun (Japanese GPK) to be one of the more rare items in my collection. Single cards go for as much as $200 a piece.
Did anything change from series to series? Did they become more or less daring as time went on?
Series #1-3 focused more on individual kids. Backgrounds were kept to a minimum. As the series’ progressed there were more and more things going on in the cards. I think the early series were more daring. Look at Nerdy Norm 1st series, Drunk Ken 1st series, Stoned Sean 3rd series, etc. The later series involved more gross out humor; blood, booger and vomit.
After series #9 Topps had to change the look of the GPK because of their lawsuit with the makers of the Cabbage Patch Kids. No longer could they use the half circle eyes - they had to be round. The GPK themselves had to be painted to look like they were made of plastic instead of fabric and stuffing.
Are their any GPK items that you’ve given up trying to find?
Bukimi Kun (Japanese GPK) complete sets, packs, and boxes. GPK Ball Guns and hard Hats released by Placo toys. GPK Cartoon episodes in English. Second series Cheap Toys [a GPK toy line].
I haven’t seen the all new series, but what I’ve seen doesn’t look as good. Would you agree? What was better about the old series?
I agree with your comment about the ANS2, ANS1 had a lot of images from the unreleased 16th series from 1989 and John Pound did most of the artwork. The main reason for the decline in quality of ANS2 is that John Pound did not do the majority of the paintings. The concepts were good, but the artwork, unfortunately, was not up to Pound’s standards.
I’ve heard that Topps has cut down the number of artists contributing final paintings for ANS3 and that there will be better continuity. Pound mentioned to me recently that he did 11 final pieces for ANS3. The promo for ANS3 looks good.
What role does nostalgia play in your interest in GPK?
Everything!!! They just take me back to a simpler time in my life when I had no stress and no worries. My life evolved around collecting these cards with my friends. I was 11 years old when the craze hit. Demand was so high back then that it was hard just getting your hands on them, so when you actually did find them it was like hitting the jackpot. I remember traveling from store to store, making endless phone calls, and bugging my mom to death to drive me all over town. I can still taste the gum to this day!
Do you collect anything else?
Not like GPK. I’m trying to get into Wacky Packages but the prices for the older ones are outrageous. I plan on collecting the new set though.
What motivates fans to create their own GPKs?
For the contest... some might just enjoy it (the younger audience) to those who are looking to win the contest (the older
Potty Scotty
crowd). Others actually send there ideas to Topps and I know of a few people who had there ideas used as concepts for ANS3. And there are those that just love the cards and collecting them and they like to express themselves through creating them.
What would your fantasy GPK merchandise be?
A 20th anniversary set next year of the classic cards, or GPKsheets and pillow cases!
Have you ever met John Pound? Do you have any interest in his other work?
I have not met him personally but converse with him through email occasionally. I am a big fan of John’s work... Meanie Babies, Bathroom Buddies, Silly CDs, and Trashcan Trolls.
What are your top ten cards and why?
Adam Bomb (obvious reasons), Dead Ted - always loved the look, Fat Matt (my name), Brett Sweat - one of the 1st cards I saw, Cheeky Charles - just makes me laugh, Matt Rat (my name again), Tattoo Lou - just like it, Roy Bot - loved Transformers growing up, Baked Jake - no reason, just do, Doughy Joey - always like the Pillsbury Dough Boy growing up. So many more I like but this is my list.
And the most offensive card?
A lot of the unpublished pieces were unpublished for a reason and I’m most people would have found them offensive. I can’t think of any one card that was published that really crossed the line, although Swell Mel is close.
The crappiest card?
There are multiple crappy cards in the ANS2 release. I can’t think of any from the original 15 series that I would classify as crappy.
Why don’t cards come with bubblegum anymore?
ANS1 did. I don’t think Topps could get the gum made fast enough to fulfill the orders. It is probably less cost effective as well to have gum in the packs.
Actually I’d be happy with one stick of gum like the old series had as long as it was wrapped in plastic to protect the cards.
I’m interested in how collecting affects other aspects of your life. How do others tend to react to your interests?
I don’t really share it with others unless they collect the cards themselves. A few of my closest friends and girlfriend know about my crazy obsession, and of course my parents and siblings. I’ve always collected things growing up: comics, toys, sports cards, etc.
So it doesn’t surprise those who know my how big my collection and obsession is. I’m sure there would be some people that think I am crazy, but to each their own right! It doesn’t really affect me in any way. I just enjoy the cards, looking at the artwork and trading occasionally.
Why do a GPK website? What made you want to do it? Did you gain the skills specifically to do that site?
I started collecting again in the late 1990s because eBay made it possible for me to find cards I couldn’t get or afford when I was younger. I’d always wanted a mint 1st series set and was able to get one on eBay. It kind of snowballed from there and I’ve been avidly collecting for 6+ years.
Originally the site started as a way to categorize my collection for others to see. I mainly had info about the merchandise that was available and that I had won on eBay. As I discovered something new I would add it to the site. Slowly people started
Phony Lisa
visiting and would help me with info. that was incorrect and send pictures of items not on my site. I learned HTML as I went and borrowed ideas from other sites.
Eventually I purchased the domain garbagepailkids.com and started seeing my visits really increase. I think eBay played a big role in resurrecting GPK. A petition soon went around in about 2000 to bring GPK back. My site grew and I was averaging about 800 visits a day. I recently transferred the domain name to Topps for some artwork and an uncut sheet. My visits have decreased somewhat but I still average 500 visits a day. I am the top listed site on most major search engines for Garbage Pail Kids.
What’s your strongest GPK childhood memory?
Waking up at 4:00 a.m. one morning, meeting with all my friends in the front yard of my house preparing to hit the 7-11 convenience store for a new shipment of 4th series. We rode our bikes up there and bought like 2 boxes, raced back to my house and opened the packs in my front yard. We just sat there looking at the artwork, stuffing gum in our faces, and laughing at the names. Great memory.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, there is a garbage pail kids movie! i just saw it at the video shop in kp (which as you can imagine is full of badcore d grade gems!!)
hugz
aggy

12:08 pm, September 01, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home