November 18, 2005

struth!

A blog entry might be coming back to haunt me. One of the journo's from Crikey just emailed me to say that she's quoted it and that she'll be directing people to this blog. Oh dear.

My memories from my month at Pac Pubs is fuzzy at best (I mostly remember playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas after work), so please take that entry with a sack of salt. I stand by it though. I also have to point out that I haven't actually read the damn thing yet, so I'm just goingby the quotes in the aforementioned Crikey piece. However, I might modify what I said about the custom car culture thing. My recollection is there being talk about the show Pimp My Ride (which I saw the other day and [hearted]) and I said that custom culture will really blow up and that we should have heaps. I think I pointed to more of a TIS magazine than Pimp My Ride kind of thing and talked a lot about custom sneakers.

I feel kind of sorry for the people at Sugar Ape, oops, I mean Explode. Starting a magazine and getting the tone right takes more than a few issues. Still, the publicity will probably make them popular with the kids and nobody forced them to talk about women in the same way they talk about cars.

Oh, if you're after another anecdote, did I tell you about my pathetic attempt to try raise the tone a bit? There was talk of pin-ups and such, so I did a thing on Evelyn Ng (who is like a real life Bond character). She's smart as hell, looks like a model and a card shark. I know, it would never fly in a populist teen boys mag but that was all I could muster. Hmmm, I don't suppose my other idea of Kathleen Hanna would have gone very far. I don't suppose there is any way of that kind of magazine being able to show women as anything other than tits and double the amount of X chromosomes.

UPDATE: From Sophie, the journalist at Crikey: "Fear not... my editor has slashed and burned my story and the link isn't in there anymore."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home