June 20, 2003

daddy drinks because you cry too much (more cats and more seizures)

Substance abuse is the cornerstone of life on welfare. I can't say I've ever been particularly good at taking drugs. For me, the ingestion of chemicals that make you feel funny is more of a hobby than a career. I never liked cigarettes, so I was never able to take the crucial step from tobacco to marijuana, and beyond. That isn't to say I've never been stoned, but I can't say I liked pot when I took it. I was a big fan of LSD before a bout of magic mushrooms set up a pavlovian response to hallucinating.

One of the things that turned me off a career as a drug-taking hero amongst my peers was a guy named Carl. Carl lived with his four year old daughter Hayley in the flat above my friend Wez. Wez was a medium level drug dealer, with a high overturn in small amounts of dope, and the occassional run with ecstacy and acid.

Evil the Cat from the coputer game 'Earthworm Jim'
When I took acid I saw a metallic version of 'Evil the Cat' from the game Earthworm Jim hanging from a tv antenna.

Apparently Hayley's mother was a heroin addict, so the care of Hayley was left to Carl. Now Carl would often come downstairs, with the skinny Hayley in tow, and get stoned with Wez and a bunch of other teenagers, despite being about ten years our senior. I'd smoke occassionally, but preferred just to hang out with the stoners and talk shit. I'd sometimes drink alcohol when the others smoked dope, come to think of it.

Hayley would make games of playing with the stoners, and I think she genuinely liked seventeen year olds who could play with Barbie for at least a couple of hours before they got bored or sober. I would often play with her because she was a funny little kid and, despite her circumstances, she was extremely well behaved.

One of her favourite games was tricking new stoners in Wez's place to go and buy her McDonalds. Me and Wez's girlfriend once took her to my mum's place so she could have a proper meal. I wonder what my mum thought when I turned up with the Kylie with her hard, lumpen glamour and this pale skinned child from a drug den for the Sunday roast. To her credit, she didn't say anything, although I do remember thinking she might've employed her caustic comments to humiliate me in front of Kylie as punishment.

I can't say that seeing this pathetic, malnourished urchin was what turned me off taking drugs full-time, though. Watching the poor thing wear pyjamas for four days certainly didn't add to the mystique. No, it was seeing Carl take perscription drugs then have a fit in the middle of Wez's kitchen that did it. I distinctly remember thinking as I watched, horrified at Carl's contortions and shaking, there's something inherently uncool about drug induced seizures.

Don't let this story turn you off. Minus seizures and overdoses, drugs are fucking great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home