June 18, 2003

students vs the unemployed


Woman in safety glasses holding some test tubes wearing a labcoat
I have downloaded several gifs and extracted their magic into these test tubes.
I TOTALLY OWN YOU!
The other day I had to write some feedback for websites these university students cobbled together. As I had nothing better to do, I wrote a disturbing mixture of on-the-fence critique and white hot flames. I mostly wrote it to entertain my friend Simon, so unsuprisingly, it never made it into the brains of these compubox webnetters.

Is this what the dole has reduced me to? A bitter individual? These are just the highlights. Enjoy.


Site feedback.
Team 16
Using the font ‘Algerian’ and the general layout was fun, and I mean “fun” in the same vein as mounting a severed penis to your computer monitor and having it randomly spray acid into your eyes.
Having a menu up the top and a menu down the side was confusing. Why not put them all in the same menu? Having the whole page scroll instead of having the main body in a frame (hope I’ve got the lingo right) was a mistake. I liked the side menu bar, but the site was much more complicated than it needed to be.

Team 25
The page looked like it had been infected by meningococcal at some stage, but unfortunately doesn’t have an inspiring story of survival to tell, only twisted stumps where its limbs should be.
Is it the background that resembles an ironed scrotum? Maybe it’s the buttons that resemble strategically placed anal lacerations. Either way, this site doesn’t fit in with my inner-city lifestyle.

A guy in a labcoat with complex machinery
Ha ha! Do not flame me, becoz I am an internet hacker! I have given you a VIRUS!!! Are you afraid? OMGLMFAO A/S/L?
I am the Matrix! Ha ha!

Team 34
Having never actually stepped into CSE21ICC, I will hazard a guess and say that certain sites were held up as exemplary. I’m guessing the La Trobe Uni website was on of these examples. I can see what Team 34 were trying to do, especially if that attempt involved cultivating a hatred for the sense of sight.

Work? It's much more fun to compute.
At La Trobe University, we are capable of the internet.
With no consistency in the design, e.g. the pictures used to illustrate the links, it was frustrating to look at. Just a text link would be preferable to the pictures, but there was really no need for them in the first place, as the menu down the side already performed that function. The whole exercise in deciphering the page was pointless.

Team 60
The thing about this page is its subtlety. In fact, it is so subtle that at least four seconds passed before I realised that my skull was being smashed by the visual equivalent of a gang of children affected by Attention Deficit Disorder wielding ballpein hammers.
Further investigation revealed no differentiation between headings and sub headings, leading to article headlines such as “Women Poor Shooting sinks Lady Vandal in Loss” and “Education Help Your Children To Write Well”.
I laughed when I saw the cute animated gif of a puppy running across the screen. I’m sorry if my language is confusing, as I’m from Ballarat; when I used the word “laugh”, I meant “want to randomly kick defenceless men in the penis until they vomit.”
Obviously these coders used the secret tags, only taught to supreme masters of the interweb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home